Monday, January 14, 2019

Creatively Bohemian
Article and photos by Jun Reynales.

The idea of using a co-working space or hub seems to be the hype these days, mostly to the new generation of young spirited individuals fresh with new ideas, sans the financial resources from their lucky and fluidly-rich descendants and relatives of tycoons; sprouted like wild mushrooms in the concrete jungles of the financial districts of Ayala, BGC Taguig, and Ortigas CBD. These young hot-rod creative minds are equipped with awesome world-class ideas and high-calibre design skills to boot. Mostly fresh out from college, they are determined to show that they mean business. With that, opportunities offered by such wild mushrooms (co-working spaces or hubs) in these concrete jungles are welcome news to these start-up business-minded young mavericks. After all, having a business address that run smack in the middle of those high-class business address would definitely add up to the image (albeit with a heavy effect on their pockets) of these young start-up business protégés.

Imagine to my surprise after receiving an emailed invitation from Gizelle Miranda-Hidalgo to visit their newest co-working hub called Space 1851 located, of all places, in Malate Manila area for a day, for FREE. I was surprised to discover of a co-
working hub not in the conventional business district we are accustomed of (and right in the middle to some of the known academic institutions like my alma mater DLSU, St. Scholastica’s College, St. Paul’s University, UP Manila, PWU, Adamson University, PNU, and others). An overly-intriguing arrangement to have a co-working hub that’s situated in a student-populated area have incited my curiosity, and decided to confirm a visit. Emailed back to schedule a visit: January 8, 2019 will be the date the journey begins. Happily, it gave me an excuse to travel back to my old college route from home in Bicutan, Taguig City, all the way to Malate, Manila City, using the old, rickety, but reliable transportation mode – using the trains from Philippine National Railways. I reckon that it is still the best way to travel rather than to stressfully subject myself traversing all the way through the clogged arteries of the streets by means of jeeps, bus or even cars. I admit I am excited with this cavernous adventure as it brings back the joy of how it was during my college days, passing throughout the old classic beauty of Malate Manila, spending days and nights – from learning hours to nightlife fetes – that once romantic lifestyle I once had (Oh how it was to be young once... and crazy! Ha-ha!)  

Arrived my destination in Vito Cruz PNR Station in just 45 minutes (yes, that’s how fast it is to ride the train!), took short jeep rides to my destination in Remedios Street,
and less than a 100 meters walk crossing Taft Avenue, I have arrived Space 1851. Lo and behold... the whole building is clean, crisp, and totally brand new!

I was ushered inside by a very courteous security guard of the establishment who seems so eager to welcome me as one of his “buena mano” visitor with such a smiling glow in his face. Smiled back to such warmth courtesy accorded to me (seldom you see such actions really from them). Once inside I was welcomed by their equally-gracious receptionist named Kim and asked and offered me a hot cup of coffee. I told her sheepishly “as long as it’s not instant coffee” and she acknowledged smilingly back, “we
serve only hot brewed coffee, Sir”. Acknowledged her invitation for that brewed coffee I proceeded to sit myself in a comfy spot in this new and swanky co-working hub, as I eagerly wait for the Space 1851 Community Manager’s Gizelle Miranda-Hidalgo to arrive and answer my curious questions about this beautiful place. Training my sight and observation around the place, I am beginning to realize that this is indeed a cool place to meet, plan things, create things, and plainly be with company of good friends, classmates, and the likes, it is incomparably far better comfortable than those uptight co-working places I have visited and experienced in BGC and Ayala. I think I prefer more this place now.

Short minutes thereafter Gizelle arrived, we exchanged short pleasantries and
greetings; her warm gentle sophistication matched the ambiance of the warmth of the place. She told me early, “Sir Jun, I apologize as I’m not in my top form today because I’m a bit under the weather.”  I told her not to worry as we’ll just take things easy and I’d like to enjoy the place and have the whole day just for this schedule. I also learned later on, she shared that she too was from St. Paul’s, the same school system I once taught photography and photojournalism to bright and beautiful minds of Grades 9 & 10 students. What are the chances for that to happen huh? We both smiled at that fact and made our conversation more comfortable with ease as we have common grounds to start with.

She confessed too that she got hold of my email address (eventually made her decided to contact me) through the list of their other company – Henry’s Photography Shop (where I got my Nikon DLSR & rig a few years back and as its loyal customer), and that she was curious how my photography is different from the rest in the industry, thus made her invite me check out their new co-working community. Okay, one curious question from me now answered. I told her that I got some questions to her about their new place called Space 1851 Co-Working Hub and want to learn more as to share it to my friends and followers. I promised her that it will just be a few set of questions, that’s not going to be toxic on her that day, as not to aggravate her bad throat condition. She graciously agreed. Here is that short interview made:

I asked “Why in Manila, specifically here in Remedios area in Malate?”

Gizelle Miranda-Hidalgo replied, “We wanted to have a community here (in Malate) that would cater primarily to discerning students in the area and in the university belt. And
also, we wanted to revive the old soul and charm of Malate area, as we believe that it is the best place to imbibe the culture and arts’ consciousness, together with college students from the nearby colleges and universities, young local and foreign travellers, young professionals with their upstart businesses.” She added, “Space 1851 is in the area that is rich with historical culture and the arts, and by that, we wanted to grow young and creative people be honed in a teeming with such culturally-rich neighbourhood, consciously be part of their creative processes while collaborating in this community, with a environment feeling that – we bring them back at home”.

I asked “What is the Space 1851’s advantages compare to other co-working places like to those located in BGC Taguig, Ayala CBD, Ortigas CBD, and others?” 

Gizelle Miranda-Hidalgo replied, “My personal experience then working in Ayala
and BGC Taguig CBDs as a young professional, to say that our advantage here in Space 1851, the atmosphere in our co-working hub environment is not too corporate-y or posh-like. We believe that immersed in a community that is rich in history and culture like here in Remedios area in Malate, will not stunt one’s creative growth, on the contrary will spark progress and, working and collaborating in our community with such young creative minds, cohesively inspires. Here you will encounter students, freelancers – all focused in achieving fantastic ideas, eventually came upon to collaborate and work with each other and produced great results.” “In addition to that” she adds, “collaborating and connecting ideas grows and ignites inspiration and fire up creative brilliance. And collectively once achieve, we have also achieved the intention of creating the soul of Space1851... that is distinctly from our community here in Remedios Malate in Manila.”


I asked, ”What current promotions and exciting things that interested students and individuals can look forward when visiting and joining the Space 1851 Co-Working Hub community now, and soon?”

Gizelle Miranda-Hidalgo replied, “Students, young professionals, and creative business individuals can visit our community for only P300 per visit as a day pass as our introductory rate. It’s very affordable. Inclusive to that is the use of our high-speed Wi-Fi connection and unlimited coffee and bottled water. We also have the Daily Space Card promo that they can avail. It is a 10-visit pass that cost less than P1,000 only. What’s nice with that card is it is designed with no expiration so one is not forced to finish it in a month or so, you use it when you need it. So I am inviting all creative-minded and business-loving students, young professionals, young local and foreign travelling individuals (from other parts of the country and other nations) to visit and join our community, and let’s bring out that creative fire in all of us!”

She shared also that, “We are also making this co-working community different as in the coming days from now we are finishing our own coffee shop (to be located on the
Print or save in your phone
       and experience the place for free
ground floor) to serve everyone our kind of coffees and delicious snacks and pastries. And to those who would need a living accommodation to be able concentrate finishing their paper works, reviews, thesis, projects and research works, or just plainly want to spend more time to create new businesses and projects, we are coming up with an AirBnB accommodations (will be on the third floor area) designed just for that. All these will be opened in a few weeks from now on. Watch out for it.” She excitedly showed me around the co-working hub spots, the free high-speed Wi-Fi, the fresh brewed coffee and water, and also on the upcoming coffee shop and accommodation rooms in the building. She did introduce me too to sibling-owners Nathalie and Diana Ong who were as excitedly-busy in finishing up the whole place. Both excitedly told me that this community will indeed by a cool place to work and be creative!

            Learning all their ideas and plans got me excited, to see this place teeming with
wonderfully-minded students and young professionals, eagerly anxious to create and finish beautiful projects and start-up businesses.  Imagine the idea of having a place young minds meet and collaborate while in a conducive environment rich with chic cultural and historical past like that in Malate. For these young minds must learn and realized that before there was Ayala and BGC there was that nostalgic Remedios and the rest of Malate area, as it was once the playgrounds and learning centre (as it is still now) of our fore parents. And that the endeavour initiated by this company is far from brilliant but amazing!  Now I finally understood that to be creatively bohemian – as a new idea in co-working environment – is a good way to create a conscientious passionate soul fired-up doing a good acumen in making a responsible business.

            This is going to be an unfinished interest for me. I look forward going back, meeting some of these young minds, and who knows maybe my former students from my teaching days at St. Paul College, be able to collaborate, create new opportunities, or create and design workshops and lectures – that will sure instigate and incite more the creative fire inside them still. Serendipity would sway my side if it is destined to collaborate and network with this wonderful co-working hub soon....

            And perhaps a little nightcap visit what was once my local habitué place around Remedios Circle to have a good drinks and cocktails... perhaps with a little bit of mambo here and there. After all, that’s how the soul of Malate marked in my glorious days in that
no so-distant past... immersed in identity also as one Creatively Bohemian guy.

            Until my next adventure and its story... Life is Good! 

No comments: