Sunday, March 10, 2019


A Game of Money, A Game of Destiny... A Game of Maturity.
Article by Jun Reynales
Photos by Praxis Philippines

“It’s like playing the famous board game Monopoly... on steroids!” says Mari-an Albert, CEO, The Praxis Company – Philippine Branch, as she sheepishly teased and dared me to play their financial literacy game.

With a devilish wide grin I replied back, “Game On!”

A few days prior March 7, 2019, I received an email from their Singapore office (who got my contact information from my SG media network) and invited me to experience their fun financial literacy game. Unfortunately though, the first arranged schedule was no good to me as I already have prior media invitation to do an interview and coverage. Due diligence and persuasion from Bianca Balderas, that young and enigmatic PR lady of Praxis Philippines/Redhill PR Singapore, with such persistence paid off and found my schedule clears last Thursday.

Arrived earlier than 2pm, met Bianca Balderas with a sigh of relieve said, “Sir, you’re here now. Thanks for coming!” Complemented her warm welcome and replied, “Finally! I’m glad to meet you Bianca.”  She followed to introduce me to Mari-an Albert, The Praxis Company – Philippines’ CEO (which incidentally hails to from my alma mater De La Salle University), and Wilma Sanchez, Marketing & Communications Head. With a very comfortable office akin to a bohemian coffee shop Mari-An assured me, “that it’s our office and we serve coffee... but we don’t do pastries, pastas nor lunch.”

Coupled with other eagerly and curious invitees like me, we set up to our selected spot and began to play the Praxis’ Financial Board Game. The game consists of: a pair of dice, sets of cards with headings of Savings, Insurance, Employment, Stocks (of different industry titles), Employment Status, Properties, and of course the different coloured and denominations of play monies. There was also a Banker (who always enticed me to borrow money from the “bank” and issues those pretty little cards labelled “IOUs”. Every step of the way the “banker” either collects or rewards monies to each player. Jokingly teased the “banker”, “you’re like that character in that movie – always present – like death or taxes!” She devilishly responded back, “but of course!” Everyone broke into a good laugh thereafter. “Too bad banker though, I never give in to such temptations -- except for a sweet blueberry cheesecake... should that happens, sorry all-bets-are-off!” I silently said to myself.


The board game is a strategy game, focusing on how you get affected and be able to deal with sudden environmental changes on economy, on security of employment, on health and insurance matters, on retirement preparedness, on monetary situations.


As what Mari-an Albert says, “Praxis has been advocating and teaching the young generations, and as such, even as young as Grade 4 student up to today’s millennial and Generation Z the value of learning to become more financially literate and be able to “master money”. “We have been sharing this advocacy in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines for almost 20 years now.” She added

“This game exposes the player to the simulations o his/her life without the actual fate attached to it.”  “Pretty much a game that after two hours of gaming, you can reboot back to reality but with valuable lessons learned that you can assess and discuss with the other players, and eventually can be applied to one’s future strategy afterwards” Mari-an added.

I agree and love the concept the game brings in and the value of such knowledge that comes along with it, as it expands the financial freedom broadens more towards his/her future. I see the real education that this company espouses to the young generations today. It will definitely serve a good foundation to one.

My experience of this game is FUN – bar none. It gave me the chance to test my skills on effectively strategizing (and bluffing at times) myself compare with other players, who mostly are younger half my age, who eagerly and gamely compete strategies with me. End of the two-hour financial effectiveness simulation game, I guess my age (and experience) was favourable and to my advantage.

For at the game of money, a game of destiny, a game of maturity... serendipity favoured towards me that Thursday, and won me the game! Thank you, The Praxis Company – Philippines for that wonderful and insightful gaming experience. Definitely it is worth to share to everyone who wants to prepare themselves in this game called Life.

Should others want to learn and experience this wonderful strategy game, best suited for companies' HR officers or schools' Guidance Officers to help your company structure or student bodies to expose them the value of having to learn good financial management discipline and gain "financial freedom" this early on. 

Until my next adventure, Life is Good!










No comments: